Here you can find an overview of the main functionalities to aid in navigating SPLASH.
The Data section contains contextual quantitative indicators based on official statistics and research outcomes, while the Policy section offers standardised information about policy changes and their supporting legal documents over time. Policy records have been compiled from the Population and Policy Database (PPD) and the Population Europe Resource Finder and Archive (PERFAR), which was last updated in 2016.
The Main Menu (1) is displayed on the top banner. From Policy you can navigate to the Work & Retirement, Family & Children, Education, Health, or Migration section. With the addition of Demographic Indicators and Macroeconomic Indicators, the quantitative versions of the previously listed sections can be found under Data. The following informational fields are in the About Us section: Project Description, Project History, Scientific Advisory Board, Country Contributors, Related Projects, and Contact. Clicking on the Search button will direct you to the search tool; the page also lists all of the resources available on SPLASH. Additionally, the text can be rescaled using the AAA button to improve accessibility.
● All contents have a “Related Contents”(2) list to assist.
● The external resources include a website description (3) summarizing the content.
● Records display clickable elements linked to corresponding content: Keywords, Topic, Subtopic, Years, and Countries
The global map(4) makes it easy to search by country. Simply click on the country and you will be able to see the number of Policy and Data resources available for the respective country. After selecting the Policy or Data content, results can be narrowed down by adjusting the search tool options. Alternatively, all of the country’s content can be viewed by selecting “See Contents”.
Clicking on the search icon (5) or using the search box displayed on top of every page will direct you to the 'search results' page.
The search engine directly responds to text typed in the box and automatically adjusts the results according to the written text. Browse through the results using the search tool options to locate relevant material.
A keyword search is recommended for topics outside the main fields or when a particular phrase or term yields better search results.
Filters & Refined Search
The search tool narrows results by type of data, data source, time period, country, topics, and keywords.
– Type of Data (6): Filters by section (Policy/Data)
– Data Source (7): Filters by origin of content
-> Internal Content: Displays PERFAR and PPD records from the Policy section, as well as the collection of contextual indicators for the analysis of SHARE & other microdata sources.
-> External Content: Displays resources from the data map of contextual databases developed by international organizations, research infrastructures and projects.
– The full-text search engine covers all the contents of SPLASH.
– To enter a time period, slide the beginning and end buttons along the timeline for the desired years. Some resources offer forecasts with projections up to 2100.
– All other advanced search options can be adjusted by selecting the box in the respective filter (topic, keyword, country).
– The number of resources which match the selection criteria displays next to the respective topic, keyword, or country.
– To exit the search tool, click on the large “x” to the right of the search bar and the last page viewed will show.
To search by field (8) instead, select the desired main field (Education, Family, Children, Health, Work & Retirement, and Migration) under the Policy section. Then click on the “See All Policy Contents” button to view all the information collected in the framework of the Population and Policy Database (PPD) and the Population Europe Resource Finder and Archive (PERFAR) until 2016 or select one of the corresponding sub-fields.
For select countries, the main fields contain Country Profiles (9) offering an overview of the respective policy field - click on the flag or country name to view.
The contents were developed in the framework of PERFAR until 2016.
Here you can find a collection of legal documents supporting social policies for up to 19 European countries.
The records provide details on their main implications, benefits and requirements, as well as access to the original sources.
The information was collected by Population Europe partners until 2016 in the framework of the PPD & PERFAR, hosted by the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research.
Data on migration policies for Italy, France and Spain were generously provided by the Collaborative SSH-FP7 Temporary versus Permanent Migration Project - TEMPER (http://www.temperproject.eu) in 2014.
The Data section of SPLASH is aimed at facilitating the analysis of microdata by providing access to contextual indicators and external data sources.
The same procedures mentioned in the Policy Section apply when browsing under the Data Section with a few exceptions:
– The Data section contains additional fields: Demographic Indicators, Macroeconomic Indicators, and Living Conditions.
– SPLASH offers a Data Map of External Resources developed by third parties such as international organizations, national statistical offices, and research projects providing access to additional indicators useful for the analysis of SHARE and other microdata sources.
Below you will find a contextual indicator example from the Data section.
Records display clickable elments linked to corresponding content: Keywords, Topic, Subtopic, Years, and Countries.
External Resources (Data Map)
Below you will find an external resource example from the Data section.
The database will continue to expand as SPLASH is an ongoing project and planned updates include the addition of more resources and user features.
The “Featured Data” will make new content more visible and can be viewed on the homepage.